Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits


These are yummy and pretty light for biscuits! make them bigger rather than smaller they are yummy and very buttery! The cast-iron adds a wonderful crunch to the bottom!

I stole this recipe from Food.com

Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits
Ingredients:Serves: 8, Yield:8 biscuits


  • 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk


Directions:
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 27 mins
Preheat the oven to 375°F Spray a baking sheet (preferably a baking stone) with cooking spray. (I used a cast iron griddle and preheated it with the oven, 1/4 stick of butter added just at then end to coat the pan)

Place the starches, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar into the bowl of a food processor. Process with six 1-second pulses. (I used a bowl and sifted these together as I measured them.

Sprinkle the butter cubes evenly over the flour mixture, cover, and process with 12 1-second pulses. The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. (I broke the butter and mixed it with my fingers until it was grainy)

Pour the buttermilk evenly over the mixture. Process for 8 1-second pulses, or until the dough gathers into a moist clump. (I used a spoon for this just carefully folding things together mixing as little as possible)

Using your bare hands, quickly gather a clump of dough, lightly form it into a biscuit shape, and drop it onto the cookie sheet. (again I used a cast-iron griddle with butter on it I also turned the biscuits in the butter to coat the top and bottom to make them yummy) Repeat this for all the remaining dough, trying to handle the dough as little as possible (it's sticky). Also, I coated my hands in some gluten free all purpose four so my hands didn't stick!
This made 10 small biscuits but the bigger they are the nicer the texture so make them bigger! When I make this again I will make 5 biscuits with it!

Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment